A Windy Day At Whole Foods

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 7:09 AM

Renuka Rayasam at the Austin-American Statesman is reporting today that Whole Foods Market is switching to all wind power in the U.S..

I don't know enough about the economics of the wind-powered energy industry to determine the economic benefits of Whole Foods' decision, but my 14 years of PR experience tell me that this is a great PR decision (and I wouldn't be shocked to learn that the company's PR team was at the table when the debate about the merits of moving to a wind-powered infrastructure were discussed).

I don't follow the supermarket wars as a matter of my day-to-day news reading (apparently there is a huge battle going on). But I do have a few cooking/luxury blogs loaded in my RSS reader. Whole Foods seems to get consistent buzz as the good guy (read: good customer and community citizen) in a lot of the posts. Whether that's for the natural products they carry, their purchasing ethics, or something else, I don't know. I just know that from a PR perspective, Whole Foods seems to be doing a lot right lately.

Their competition should start paying closer attention if they aren't already -- before they get the wind knocked out of their sales.

0 comments:

I'm a Twittering Fool